Monday, May 25, 2009

Bird Watch

About two months ago we finally hung up our bird feeder. Yes, it was hanging on the end of our hammock until this week. We can see it from the dining room door and window. I have been so surprised by the number of birds we have had. This is a great way to kick off some nature study AND it will be great next year when we study the state birds. Aly has really enjoyed it. I bought her a pull out bird guide at the convention and it gets used weekly. We even had a wren (we think) build her nest in the grill on our patio. I'll post pictures of the baby birds later. Here's a few of the birds that we've seen so far.

A sparrow ... I knew exactly what kind in April when I took the picture, now I don't remember. Probably a Chipping Sparrow, we see these very often.

A House Finch. We have only seen this one once. It was so pretty.

Um, not a bird, but a regular diner at the bird feeder.

Chipping Sparrow

And yes, even a Blue Jay! I was surprised to see him, but he has visited a few times.
We have also seen Black Capped Chickadees, Cardinals, Wrens, and what we think is a Cowbird. Skyeler is hoping to get a Goldfinch Feeder for her bedroom window soon. I bought a suet feeder yesterday, but today it was broke apart and the whole suet cake was missing. Not sure if the squirrel was the culprit or something bigger.




No comments: